Let every American, every lover of liberty, every well wisher to his posterity, swear by the blood of the Revolution, never to violate in the least particular, the laws of the country; and never to tolerate their violation by others.

As the patriots of seventy-six did to the support of the Declaration of Independence, so to the support of the Constitution and Laws, let every American pledge his life, his property, and his sacred honor; let every man remember that to violate the law, is to trample on the blood of his father, and to tear the charter of his own, and his children's liberty.

Let reverence for the laws, be breathed by every American mother, to the lisping babe, that prattles on her lap; let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges; let it be written in Primers, spelling books, and in Almanacs; let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation; and Let the old and the young, the rich and the poor, the grave and the gay, of all sexes and tongues, and colors and conditions, sacrifice unceasingly upon its altars.

While ever a state of feeling, such as this, shall universally, or even, very generally prevail throughout the nation, vain will be every effort, and fruitless every attempt, to subvert our national freedom.


- Abraham Lincoln, January 27, 1838
  Address Before the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Citizen Oversight

This letter constitutes a request under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. §552 ("FOIA"), and is submitted by the undersigned individuals who are concerned about the widening scandal involving improper and potentially unlawful attempts, by the Bush White House, Republican Members of Congress and Republican party officials, to influence and interfere in ongoing criminal investigations being conducted by United States Attorneys and to influence the hiring and firing of U.S. Attorneys for partisan political reasons.

The undersigned requestors fall in the category of “other requestors” for purposes of FOIA and the Department’s FOIA fee regulations. On behalf of the undersigned requestors, the Democratic National Committee will pay any fees for searching or copying the requested records.


My comments:
It is time for all Americans to exercise their 'citizen' oversight. This is my country, and I am a voter in said country. This is also a democracy. I respectfully insist that the people of America have the right to know what is going on in this administration, especially in light of current revelations about the possible 'politically motivated' firing of prosecutors by the Justice Department. Thank you.
By the way, when forwarding the letter I received from Governor Howard Dean (Democrat) to my friends, I removed what I considered to be rather caustic, partisan comments from the dialog. I want to know what is going on, and I want justice... but I'm not interested in 'getting back' at the Republican party. This is exactly the sort of thing that keeps anyone from getting any work done in Washington. Partisan hatred, partisan babble.

Representative Waxman is doing his job - and so is Senator Leahy, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He is finally in a position to subpoena, and dig out the corruption - to follow the trail all the way to the top. He is laying the ground work.

Perhaps this was the 'Democrat plan' all along. I don't know, they never said that they even had a plan. They certainly don't appear to have a plan for getting us out of Iraq. And perhaps they are motivated more by partisan revenge than by dedication to our nation's best interests - I don't know. I have no idea. But as Lincoln said - and I have taken his words to be my own, personal creed:

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."
I will stand by them while they are standing right. Gonzales is an abomination - an interloper without a shred of respect for our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. He is the partisan's partisan: he consistently put partisan politics before all else, and has done real damage to our nation's rule of law. He must go, just as Rumsfeld had to go. I contest that Bush, Cheney - the entire pack must go. Before they blunder into any more wars.

To be honest - if they were smart (and many of them are) - the moderate, reasonable Republicans would take this cause up themselves, and follow it to the obvious conclusion. As I recall, Nixon was never actually impeached... several, high ranking Republicans took the 'long walk' to the White House and convinced him, for the good of the party, to resign. And so he did.

Sen. John Sununu(R) of New Hampshire, is already calling for Gonzales to resign. Perhaps if Bush and Cheney are implicated in this investigation (much as Cheney and Rove were implicated in the Libby trial,) the moderate Republicans will make their move - make their own 'long walk'. When it gets to the point where the future of their party is at stake, I think they will act. And I suspect Chuck Hagel, Arlen Specter, and perhaps Richard Lugar will be in that group.

They won't do it if they can avoid it (would you?) So I'm all for bringing the heat. I want what is best for America - partisan politics be damned.

Labels: , , , , ,