Let every American, every lover of liberty, every well wisher to his posterity, swear by the blood of the Revolution, never to violate in the least particular, the laws of the country; and never to tolerate their violation by others.

As the patriots of seventy-six did to the support of the Declaration of Independence, so to the support of the Constitution and Laws, let every American pledge his life, his property, and his sacred honor; let every man remember that to violate the law, is to trample on the blood of his father, and to tear the charter of his own, and his children's liberty.

Let reverence for the laws, be breathed by every American mother, to the lisping babe, that prattles on her lap; let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges; let it be written in Primers, spelling books, and in Almanacs; let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation; and Let the old and the young, the rich and the poor, the grave and the gay, of all sexes and tongues, and colors and conditions, sacrifice unceasingly upon its altars.

While ever a state of feeling, such as this, shall universally, or even, very generally prevail throughout the nation, vain will be every effort, and fruitless every attempt, to subvert our national freedom.


- Abraham Lincoln, January 27, 1838
  Address Before the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois

Thursday, May 31, 2007

An open letter to Senator Feingold

Mr Feingold...

I live in Indiana, so believe me - there is no one here 'representing me' that I can ask. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm not naive, and I used to consider myself to be a very logical person (I was a system analyst for 18 years.) I am also a history nut, so I've read all about the rise of Hitler.

Please tell me that I am dreaming - that I don't see what I think I see. Tell me I am wrong. From you... I would believe it.

This Executive branch is now completely out of control, and no one will impeach. There isn't even a special prosecutor. Halliburton is building - no, has built concentration camps on our own soil, and no one has told us why. The mainstream media doesn't talk about it. I've seen the aerial photos now - they are real.

Blackwater training installations are springing up all over the place, and these 'contractors' don't seem to answer to anyone... or perhaps they do. I'm afraid to ask. All I know is that our national guard - our 'militia' - is overseas, and there could be thousands of these 'other' guys running around, right here in our country. I don't know, because other than Jeremy Scahill, no one talks about them.

Our government is now torturing people, and setting up secret torture camps around the world. This is something we have never done, going all the way back to George Washington. Our president and vice president scoff at Geneva conventions. We invaded a country that didn't attack us, and seem poised to bomb or invade another one. We won't leave. People all around the world are beginning to hate us, for so many reasons now that I've lost track.

Our food is being poisoned, our medicines turn out to be lethal, and half the time the media won't even cover it. The FDA puts corporate interests ahead of saving lives.

Our media... may as well be the Pravda now. They'd rather talk about American Idol than our civil liberties, or the war. They don't talk about the fact that most of our watchdog agencies have now been 'privatized.' They seem to print pretty much whatever they are told to print, with a few exceptions.

The president has created a new 'emergency' directive that gives him dictatorial powers. But then, he has suspended habeas corpus anyway, so not sure how this really differs.

We thought we won a victory last November when we somehow managed to overcome Diebold and elect a Democratic Congress and Senate majority. But the Democratic leaders won't do anything to stop... any of this. Dennis Kucinich stood up and talked on the House floor for an entire HOUR about how our oil companies want to take Iraq's oil... and everyone ignored him. The mainstream media didn't cover it.

It appears the Democrats in Congress are either compromised by lobbyist interests -- or afraid. Maybe I'd be afraid too.

Actually I'm afraid every time I blog. For some reason I do it anyway. I think this is because the people I have always admired in my life all spoke out, and in the end I just want to be able to look at myself in the mirror. I don't want to be the kind of person who 'sins by silence when they should speak out,' as Lincoln said.

If everything I see - or think I see - is real, then by now I am probably on some list. Me... I will carry a spider out of the house before I will harm it. Some risk.

But I think and I write. That's dangerous in a society that isn't free. We live still in the belief that we are free. It now appears that this could all change on a dime. The data-miners have been making their lists for a long time.

It has all happened before. It could happen again. Our forefathers certainly warned us. I don't see anyone in Congress raising a finger to stop it. Investigations here and there, but nothing to STOP IT. Nothing that would over-rule the president should he suddenly decide to declare martial law.

I'm sitting here at my desk in the middle of the night and I can't believe... I am afraid. I'm in America, where I grew up... in Indiana no less. Everything around me is familiar. And yet, it is all becoming surreal.

Please... is there any hope? Can we pull out of this dive? Or is the fat lady warming up?

I know you aren't my representative, but frankly you're the only person I'd believe. I'd give anything to hear you say that I'm imagining all of this, and that democracy is fine and well. Please tell me that so I can sleep.

Thank you.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home